Gifts At Work
Proudly for over 30 years, generous Linn-Mar School Foundation donors have invested over $1 million into classroom projects and curriculum needs. These gifts have impacted every school and many cherished programs at Linn-Mar and have helped fund a variety of diverse programs in areas such as classroom technology, performing arts, field trips, literacy and media center materials, to name a few. These initiatives make a significant difference in our students' lives.
The Foundation's mission is to support Linn-Mar's tradition of educational excellence by channeling private support into innovative new programs and curriculum areas. Its current priorities align with the district's goal to provide students with the skills, knowledge and expertise they need to succeed in work and life in the 21st century.
Recent Grant Awards:
The Linn-Mar School Foundation is pleased to have helped channel over $154,000 in corporate, foundation and designated fund grants and scholarships to Linn-Mar students and programs this past fiscal year.
Below is a summary of programs and classrooms supported with Foundation grants this year:
- Completed High School microscopes upgrade project. Replaced aging microscopes with 64 new microscopes. Total scope of microscope project $21,000
- FFA Aqua Culture Lab funding (Dennis Selness Endowed Fund)
- Advanced Placement tests for twenty-eight low SES (social economic status) students (AAA Fund)
- Eight high school sports and/or activity participation scholarships (AAA Fund)
- Funded pilot program “Music Connects” for band & orchestra students who face financial obstacles (free & reduced lunch and good academic standing qualifications). Purchased 17 used instruments for the program and funded 23 new band & orchestra students in the summer lesson program, $7,200 contributed
- Thirteen, post-secondary scholarships (LMSF scholarship and memorial funds), $8,000 contributed
- Comprehensive funding for the annual Stories Alive! author-illustrator visits benefiting all 3100 district elementary students featuring three acclaimed presenters
- Pan American Steel Drum performances benefiting all 3100 district elementary students
- Funding to complete outdoor learning classroom for Linn Grove Elementary, $5500 contributed to
- Orff Music instruments for five elementary music classrooms, $5,500 contributed
- Project Lead the Way equipment & computers to support High School curriculum expansion. Additional $5,000 allocated for 2014-2015 PLTW STEM classroom materials
- iPad Technology for Bowman Woods, Echo Hill, Linn Grove, Wilkins & Westfield elementary schools, $8000 contributed
- Book Funding to district media centers
- Elementary STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) book grants for Indian Creek & Westfield
- ARKYD Telescope Unit for Oak Ridge Middle School
- Readers Workshop books & materials (struggling readers) & Fiction books for Excelsior Middle School
- Social studies books to compliment curriculum for Excelsior Middle School
- Polar Heart Rate Monitors and watches for Excelsior Middle School
- Google Nexus 7 Chromebooks for High School Social Studies classrooms
- History visual aids for High School classrooms
- Mobile Computer labs & wireless printers for High School, $15,400 contributed
- Mimio Teaching technology for 9 district classrooms, $9,000 contributed
- Smartboard Teaching technology for Wilkins Elementary, $3,300 contributed
- Kindle reading technology for Wilkins Elementary
- Nook Reading technology for COMPASS program
- Microsoft surface tablets & Ladibug document camera for Oak Ridge Middle School
The Linn-Mar School Foundation is also the fiscal agent and administrative partner for over forty fundraising accounts held on behalf of Linn-Mar schools. It also provides access to corporate matching funds and can lend leadership to grant writing projects and campaigns to raise money for technology, literacy, science and “new initiatives”.
For more information on the Linn-Mar Foundation call Executive Director Shelley Woods at 447-3065 or visit www.linnmarfoundation.org.